Category Archives: Army Corps of Engineers

Pallone Announces $12.3 Million for Beach Replenishment in Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Washington DC – Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) announced Wednesday that $12.3 million will be awarded to fund beach replenishment in Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach thanks to a request Congressman Pallone submitted to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. This funding will allow the Army Corps to begin replenishing the beaches in these towns in Fall 2012.

“This funding is vitally important for the Shore and I commend the Army Corps of Engineers for responding to my funding request for these projects,” said Pallone. “Beach replenishment projects make it possible for millions of people to enjoy the Jersey shore every summer, and come hurricane season, provide a protective barrier to beachfront communities.”

Last month the Army Corps of Engineers completed a contract that replenished a portion of the beach in Monmouth Beach that went forward due to funding secured by Pallone in 2011. The $12.3 million secured by Pallone in 2012 will allow the Army Corps of Engineers to complete the rest of Monmouth Beach and Sea Bright. Significant erosion has occurred in these areas over the last few years which can put homes and businesses in jeopardy when a storm hits the coast.

The money was approved as part of the fiscal year 2012 appropriations legislation passed in late December that funds the government through the end of the year. Pallone worked with the Army Corps of Engineers to request that funding be allocated to this project. The Army Corps of Engineers will begin the beach replenishment project later this year.

In addition to this beach replenishment project, Pallone also secured funding for a number of other projects in the 6th Congressional district. The South River Flood Control Project received $125,000, which will allow the Army Corps of Engineers to continue with the Preconstruction, Engineering and Design phase. The Shark River Inlet maintenance dredging project received $495,000, which will enable the Corps to dredge the river’s inlet this year. The Sandy Hook Bay at Leonardo project will receive $127,710 for future maintenance dredging.

Leave a comment

Filed under Army Corps of Engineers, beach replenishment, Congressman Frank Pallone, Leonardo NJ, Monmouth Beach, Sandy Hook bay, Sea Bright NJ, the Jersey shore

Pallone Announces $2.94 Million Allocated to Port Monmouth Beach Replenishment Project

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 16, 2011

Funding Will Allow Army Corps to Begin Project

Washington, D.C. – Rep. Frank Pallone, Jr. Friday announced that the House approved $2.94 million for beach replenishment efforts in Port Monmouth, NJ in the Fiscal Year 2012 spending bill. The Senate is also expected to approve this funding allocation Friday, and it will then go to the President’s desk.

“Today’s vote is one of the final hurdles before the Army Corps can move forward with this important project,” said Pallone. “It was a hard-fought effort to fully fund it, but I’m satisfied with this allocation. Beach replenishment is crucial to the recreational uses of the shore as well as to providing a protective barrier.”

The U.S. Army Corps is currently on schedule to get the project under way in September 2012.

Pallone has worked with the Obama administration since the president took office to stress the importance of Army Corps of Engineers civil works projects, particularly the benefit of beach replenishment in New Jersey. He has worked hard over the past last few years to get earmark appropriations for Port Monmouth.

Prior to this allocation, $3.4 million has been banked, which when added to the $2.94 million dollars in the funding bill will total $6.4 million.

Leave a comment

Filed under Army Corps of Engineers, beach replenishment, Port Monmouth NJ

Pallone Announces Monmouth Beach Replenishment Scheduled to Begin

Long Branch, NJ – Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. Monday announced the contract for Monmouth Beach replenishment has been awarded to Weeks Marine in the amount of $12,913,250. Work on beach replenishment is expected to begin by November.

“The wind and flooding during Hurricane Irene proved how important beach replenishment is to the communities that receive it,” said Pallone. “Beach replenishment protected the shore during the storm and as a result of storm damage this project is all the more necessary.”

Work on this project is possible due to Pallone’s requests for funding from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In May, Pallone announced $7.5 million for beach replenishment in Monmouth Beach. This $7.5 million is in addition to roughly $2.5 million that had been banked for this project through funding secured by Pallone in previous years. The last allocation of $7.5 million allowed the Army Corps to move forward with awarding a contract.

“Now the work can begin. This project will make a significant impact in the community,” Pallone added.

Tight budget constraints and an aversion to targeted funding for all projects nationwide were obstacles that Pallone overcame in fighting for New Jersey funds. The money was approved as part of the fiscal year 2011 continuing resolution that funded the government through the end of the year and was approved in April. This is the largest funding allocation to this project in recent years.

In addition to this beach replenishment project, the Army Corps of Engineers in May approved funding for three additional projects. The South River Flood Control Project was allocated $250,000, which will allow the Corps to continue with the Preconstruction, Engineering and Design phase. The Shark River maintenance dredging project was allocated $496,650 for maintenance dredging, which will enable the Corps to dredge the river’s inlet this year. Also, $207,000 was allocated for the Raritan and Sandy Hook Bay, Highlands project, which will enable the Corps to complete the feasibility study.

1 Comment

Filed under Army Corps of Engineers, beach replenishment, Congressman Frank Pallone, Hurricane Irene, Monmouth Beach, press release, Sandy Hook bay

>APP: Pallone gets fed money to start beach projects

>It’s good to see Congressman Frank Pallone working to bring home the bacon for his constituents. The $7.5 million that he has secured for beach replenishment and other much needed projects along the Northern Monmouth bayshore area, as well as other parts of his district, will go a long way towards keeping Jersey shore and the communities that boarder it safe from flooding and economically vibrant for the small businesses that rely on it for their livelihoods.

From today’s Asbury Park Press

Monmouth County beaches got a boost when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers allocated $7.5 million in replenishment funds that was requested by U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone, D-N.J., for Monmouth Beach and northern Long Branch.

Pallone made the announcement Wednesday of the allocation of $7.5 million in beach funding, plus the approval of Army Corps funding for Shark River dredging and for two engineering and feasibility studies in the Shore area.

The $7.5 million will go to fund beach replenishment in Monmouth Beach and possibly parts of northern Long Branch. That federal money will be added to about $2.5 million in federal funds on hand and added to state funds to provide a total of $12 million to $14 million that will allow the Army Corps to begin the projects later this year.

“This funding is vitally important for the Shore and I commend the Army Corps of Engineers for responding to my funding request for these projects,” Pallone said in a release.

The funds were approved as part of the fiscal year 2011 continuing resolution approved in April that funded the government through the end of the year.

The Army Corps also approved funding for three additional projects. The South River Flood Control Project received $250,000 to continue with the engineering and design phase. The Corps allocated $496,650 to the Shark River maintenance dredging project to dredge the river’s inlet this year. A $207,000 allocation will allow completion of a feasibility study for the Raritan and Sandy Hook Bay, Highlands project.

Leave a comment

Filed under Army Corps of Engineers, Asbury Park Press, beach replenishment, Congressman Frank Pallone, flood control, Jersey Shore

>Tony "The Fibber" Fiore Is At It Again: Letter To Shadow Lake Residents Is Filled With Falsehoods

>Middletown’s acting Deputy Mayor, Tony “the Fibber” Fiore is at it once again. You would have thought that after being caught fabricating portions of his resume that was submitted to the Township (which was presented for consideration for the Township Volunteer Bank) shortly after he moved here from Carteret, he would have learn his lesson. You can’t make false and misleading statements about yourself or others and expect to get away with it.

In this latest case “the Fibber” authored and sent to resident of Shadow Lake Village (on his own dime supposedly) a letter accusing the lone Democrat on the Township Committee, Sean Byrnes, of begin an obstructionist against the rest of the Township Committee’s efforts to dredge Shadow Lake and accused him of “…cutting secret deals to line the pockets of private contractors to pour chemicals into Shadow Lake that will never solve the problem…”.

Fiore actually insinuated that Byrnes was a lair by including in this letter “Sean Byrnes says he wants to bring the Army Corp of Engineers into help the Township with Shadow Lake. There are a few problems with this. First, as State open waters, the NJDEP’s permission is still required for the Army Corp to dredge the lake. Second, the Army Corp only dredges navigable waters-Shadow Lake is not a navigable waterway.”

This letter makes Fiore out to be the buffoon and partisan politician that he is and demonstrates that Fiore and the Middletown Republicans are only out for themselves and not interested hearing from others on how to fix problems. You can see the letter for yourself >>>Here

In response to his colleague on the Township Committee, here is what Sean Byrnes has to say about Fiore’s claims and accusations:
… First, he suggests that I did not vote on dredging for Shadow Lake. That’s correct, because when the ordinance was voted on I was not yet elected to the Township Committee. His letter would lead you to believe I voted against dredging. This is not true. Second, he claims that the Army Corps of Engineers does not have jurisdiction here and cannot take on this project. Here, Mr. Fiore should have checked his facts. While the Corps has traditionally handled the maintenance of navigable waterways, they do now have a responsibility for Ecosystem Restoration. You can check this link on the web for more information:


I don’t think these representatives would ask for a meeting if they did not have a program that might address the problems with the Lake.

Lastly, and most disturbing to me, Mr. Fiore contends that I am “lining the pockets” of a contractor to treat the Lake. For the record, this “contractor” has had a contract with the Township for 15 years. The Township, unbeknownst to me, reduced the scope of this contractor’s contract limiting his treatment of vegetation to the most Western portion of the Lake. This may explain the rapid growth of vegetation of the last few years. My request to him to submit a contract for 2011 designed to attack the vegetation growth was an effort to address this problem while we wait for dredging. While Mr. Fiore appears to oppose this treatment of vegetation, I believe it is necessary and his characterization of it as “pouring chemicals” into the Lake is misleading…

Well then, so much for the final attempt at an “October Surprise” from Fiore and the Middletown GOP, they have shown once again with this letter, that they can not be trusted with telling the truth to residents and are desperate to retain as much power in town as possible.

It seems as though Sean Byrnes is the only one representing the best interests of Middletown, whether it be not voting to support this years budget that included a whopping 13.8% increase to the Municipal tax rate or here in this instance, providing a common sense solution to a problem that has been lingering under Republican rule for 3 years now.

6 Comments

Filed under Army Corps of Engineers, dredging, Middletown, Middletown Township Committee, October Surprise, resume, Sableminded, Sean F. Byrnes, Shadow Lake, Shadow Lake Village, Tony"the fibber"Fiore

>Potential New Plan For The Dredging Of Shadow Lake Would Include the Army Corp of Engineers

>In this video, Middletown resident Marilyn Michaels, presents information to the Middletown Township Committee about the new township tax rate and the potential use of the Army Corp of Engineers to develop a plan for the dredging of Shadow Lake that would include ideas to get rid of the arsenic laced dredged spoils from the bottom of the lake that would minimally impact to the surrounding area and be more cost efficient than potential plans now being discussed and considered by the major of the Township Committee at the recent Oct.17,2010 Township Committee meeting.

Marilyn Michaels lives on the edge of Shadow Lake and has recently been a leading voice behind its preservation and restoration.

1 Comment

Filed under Army Corps of Engineers, dredging, Middletown, Middletown Township Committee, Shadow Lake, tax increase

Finally, Residents In Port Monmounth To See Relief From Flooding

Well it’s taken over 30 years for residents in the Port Monmouth section of Middletown to get some much needed action to the flooding problem that exists around the Wilson Ave/ Broadway/Renfrew Place/Pew’s creek section of town, but at last there is relief coming to their neighborhood.


Thanks to efforts of Committeeman Patrick Short and many area residents who have attended township committee meeting over the past few months, the township committee has finally decided to take action against the massive flooding problems in Port Monmouth themselves instead of waiting for the Army Corp of Engineers to come up with $55 million dollars to do it for them.

Middletown’s engineer, Ted Maloney has come up with a 3 phase plan to alleviate the flooding at a fraction of the cost, which is estimated to be $1.1 million.

According to an article in yesterdays Asbury Park Press:

The $77,040 first phase involves building a foot-tall berm along Wilson Avenue, cleaning and repairing all existing pipes, and installing a slide gate, Maloney said. The gate would open during low tide to allow water to seep out of the neighborhood, and close during high tide to keep out water from Pew’s Creek and Raritan Bay, he said.

The $750,000 second phase would add a pump station to help get water out of the neighborhood, a drainage pipe for the water to flow through and a generator to power the system in the event of an outage, according to township documents.

The $315,000 third phase would replace existing pipes and create an underground location for water to settle before draining into the creek, according to township documents. If the first two phases work as planned, the third phase may not be necessary, Maloney said.”

This is an excellent use of township tax dollars that should have gone to allieviating the flooding problem in Port Monmouth years ago. I know that the 80+ households that make up this flooded section of Port Monmouth are extremely happy that something is finally being done for them, instead of having their tax dollars wasted on frivously pet projects of former members of the township committee.

2 Comments

Filed under Army Corps of Engineers, Asbury Park Press, flooding, Middletown NJ, Pew's creek, Port Monmouth