FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Washington DC – Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) announced Wednesday that $12.3 million will be awarded to fund beach replenishment in Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach thanks to a request Congressman Pallone submitted to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. This funding will allow the Army Corps to begin replenishing the beaches in these towns in Fall 2012.
“This funding is vitally important for the Shore and I commend the Army Corps of Engineers for responding to my funding request for these projects,” said Pallone. “Beach replenishment projects make it possible for millions of people to enjoy the Jersey shore every summer, and come hurricane season, provide a protective barrier to beachfront communities.”
Last month the Army Corps of Engineers completed a contract that replenished a portion of the beach in Monmouth Beach that went forward due to funding secured by Pallone in 2011. The $12.3 million secured by Pallone in 2012 will allow the Army Corps of Engineers to complete the rest of Monmouth Beach and Sea Bright. Significant erosion has occurred in these areas over the last few years which can put homes and businesses in jeopardy when a storm hits the coast.
The money was approved as part of the fiscal year 2012 appropriations legislation passed in late December that funds the government through the end of the year. Pallone worked with the Army Corps of Engineers to request that funding be allocated to this project. The Army Corps of Engineers will begin the beach replenishment project later this year.
In addition to this beach replenishment project, Pallone also secured funding for a number of other projects in the 6th Congressional district. The South River Flood Control Project received $125,000, which will allow the Army Corps of Engineers to continue with the Preconstruction, Engineering and Design phase. The Shark River Inlet maintenance dredging project received $495,000, which will enable the Corps to dredge the river’s inlet this year. The Sandy Hook Bay at Leonardo project will receive $127,710 for future maintenance dredging.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 16, 2011
Funding Will Allow Army Corps to Begin Project
Washington, D.C. – Rep. Frank Pallone, Jr. Friday announced that the House approved $2.94 million for beach replenishment efforts in Port Monmouth, NJ in the Fiscal Year 2012 spending bill. The Senate is also expected to approve this funding allocation Friday, and it will then go to the President’s desk.
“Today’s vote is one of the final hurdles before the Army Corps can move forward with this important project,” said Pallone. “It was a hard-fought effort to fully fund it, but I’m satisfied with this allocation. Beach replenishment is crucial to the recreational uses of the shore as well as to providing a protective barrier.”
The U.S. Army Corps is currently on schedule to get the project under way in September 2012.
Pallone has worked with the Obama administration since the president took office to stress the importance of Army Corps of Engineers civil works projects, particularly the benefit of beach replenishment in New Jersey. He has worked hard over the past last few years to get earmark appropriations for Port Monmouth.
Prior to this allocation, $3.4 million has been banked, which when added to the $2.94 million dollars in the funding bill will total $6.4 million.
Long Branch, NJ – Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. Monday announced the contract for Monmouth Beach replenishment has been awarded to Weeks Marine in the amount of $12,913,250. Work on beach replenishment is expected to begin by November.
“The wind and flooding during Hurricane Irene proved how important beach replenishment is to the communities that receive it,” said Pallone. “Beach replenishment protected the shore during the storm and as a result of storm damage this project is all the more necessary.”
Work on this project is possible due to Pallone’s requests for funding from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In May, Pallone announced $7.5 million for beach replenishment in Monmouth Beach. This $7.5 million is in addition to roughly $2.5 million that had been banked for this project through funding secured by Pallone in previous years. The last allocation of $7.5 million allowed the Army Corps to move forward with awarding a contract.
“Now the work can begin. This project will make a significant impact in the community,” Pallone added.
Tight budget constraints and an aversion to targeted funding for all projects nationwide were obstacles that Pallone overcame in fighting for New Jersey funds. The money was approved as part of the fiscal year 2011 continuing resolution that funded the government through the end of the year and was approved in April. This is the largest funding allocation to this project in recent years.
In addition to this beach replenishment project, the Army Corps of Engineers in May approved funding for three additional projects. The South River Flood Control Project was allocated $250,000, which will allow the Corps to continue with the Preconstruction, Engineering and Design phase. The Shark River maintenance dredging project was allocated $496,650 for maintenance dredging, which will enable the Corps to dredge the river’s inlet this year. Also, $207,000 was allocated for the Raritan and Sandy Hook Bay, Highlands project, which will enable the Corps to complete the feasibility study.
>It’s good to see Congressman Frank Pallone working to bring home the bacon for his constituents. The $7.5 million that he has secured for beach replenishment and other much needed projects along the Northern Monmouth bayshore area, as well as other parts of his district, will go a long way towards keeping Jersey shore and the communities that boarder it safe from flooding and economically vibrant for the small businesses that rely on it for their livelihoods.
From today’s Asbury Park Press
Monmouth County beaches got a boost when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers allocated $7.5 million in replenishment funds that was requested by U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone, D-N.J., for Monmouth Beach and northern Long Branch.
Pallone made the announcement Wednesday of the allocation of $7.5 million in beach funding, plus the approval of Army Corps funding for Shark River dredging and for two engineering and feasibility studies in the Shore area.
The $7.5 million will go to fund beach replenishment in Monmouth Beach and possibly parts of northern Long Branch. That federal money will be added to about $2.5 million in federal funds on hand and added to state funds to provide a total of $12 million to $14 million that will allow the Army Corps to begin the projects later this year.
“This funding is vitally important for the Shore and I commend the Army Corps of Engineers for responding to my funding request for these projects,” Pallone said in a release.
The funds were approved as part of the fiscal year 2011 continuing resolution approved in April that funded the government through the end of the year.
The Army Corps also approved funding for three additional projects. The South River Flood Control Project received $250,000 to continue with the engineering and design phase. The Corps allocated $496,650 to the Shark River maintenance dredging project to dredge the river’s inlet this year. A $207,000 allocation will allow completion of a feasibility study for the Raritan and Sandy Hook Bay, Highlands project.