Last week Middletown Township issued a press release extolling the virtues of issuing Apple iPads to members of “The governing body and township managers have been using Apple IPads to review meeting documents prepared by the Office of the Township Clerk since November 2011”.
The press release states that the iPads are justified because the Township is now saving over $5,000 a year in paper costs because monthly meeting “packets” are now being electronically processed and made available to governing body.
Tony Fiore is quoted as saying, “The switch to IPads for meeting documents is a win-win. We’re saving money and reducing Middletown’s carbon footprint since we’re using less paper and energy. This is a great example of how township staff is thinking outside the box to find innovative ways to make everyday tasks and processes more efficient and effective.”
I would like to know:
- How many iPads have been purchased by the township and who specifically has been issued them?
- What was the purchase price of these iPads?
- Was the purchase price for these iPads discounted in anyway, if so by how much?
- Who were these iPads purchased from; Did they come directly from Apple Inc. or an authorized Apple vendor (please name)?
- Are these iPads considered township property ?
- Can they to be used by individuals for personal use (take and store photos, download music or games, ect…)?
- What happens to these iPads if Township Committee members step down from office or not relected or if a town manager leaves the employment of the township?
- Did the Township purchase any kind of internet access plan over and above the purchase price of the iPads that would enable idividuals to access the internet if WiFi access is not availible to the users?
- Is Town Hall wired for WiFi? If so, does the public have access to the WiFi network at Town Hall if they bring their own laptops, iPads or other type of smart device to a meeting at Town Hall?
I was emailed by back by Assistant Township Administrator Jim VanNest who stated that he would forward my questions to others that could better answer them for me and that I should have a response within a reasonable amount of time.